Sunday, January 28, 2007

Back to Japan


During my two months in the land of the rising sun, I had some incredible times, but I also had some lousy days, too. Luckily they didn't last very long. I pretty much chalk it all up to homesickness. That, coupled with the heat and humidity, not knowing the language and not having any friends to hang out with ... well, I was pretty lonely for awhile.

One of the most memorable moments of my trip was when I decided to buck up and set out on an adventure, one that brought me to the Tokyo LDS Temple! It was a bit of a turning point in my trip. I managed perfectly to get on the right trains and then onto the subway ... I left the subway station and followed the directions, turned the corner and there it was! So incredible to see such a beautiful, familiar sight in such a completely foreign country.

Walking in, I tried to contain my relief and excitement. I managed to find my way through the session even though I was pretty nervous that I would make a fool of myself or not understand anything, but everything went wonderfully. The matrons at the temple were so sweet and I think I was their "Special Project" for the day.

It was such a spiritual experience. I realized that, no matter where I was in the world, no matter how homesick I was, the Church would always be there! The next day I went to church for the first time and was quickly welcomed into the fold, making many great friends along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment