Monday, August 28, 2006

First Impressions



I guess I never really knew quite what to expect when I arrived in Japan. I guess the first thing was that there would be more things written in English ... well, not necessarily English, but Roman letters anyway. But the majority the lettering is in Kanji -- the Chinese characters. So there was challenge No. 1. Luckily, however, most of the train stations have signage in Romanji, but I quickly had to train my eyes to find the familiar letters. Now, six weeks later, I'm actually recognizing some Kanji! Only a few characters ... very few, actually ... but enough to recognize Tokyo and Exit and Entrance.

Getting off the plane, I managed to make my way through customs and immigration and then waited for Linda to meet me. I ended up beating her to the airport, but only by about 10 minutes. Once she got there we sent my luggage to the house and then boarded a train that would take us into the city. Arriving at about 4 p.m., there was still plenty of daylight to take in all the beautiful, green rice fields. So green! Then into the city ... such small houses, so closely crammed together! Apartments were obvious among all the tall buildings with their balconies decorated with hanging laundry. Then came the skyscrapers ... all becoming more brilliant at dusk when they were illuminated. There was no doubt I was in one of the largest cities in the world!

Changing trains in Shinjuku, we left our comfortable seats and squeezed in on the commuter train that would take us to Musashi-sakai -- the home station. So many people packed into the train! But I would later learn that the trains would only get more compact! Just when you think they can't possibly fit anyone else in the car, five more people climb in ... everyone pressing tighter and tighter. So much for personal space. Those not lucky enough to have grabbed a handhold often get tossed amongst the strangers as the train lurches through the many stops. Bobbing heads are common, too, as weary businessmen and women cope with their long commute, some even sleeping standing up!

Arriving at Musashi-sakai I was introduced to my mom's favorite little bakery -- Beard Papa ... the home of the world's most perfect cream puff! Now that was a tasty welcome to Japan. Delicious! But before I could enjoy, Linda found her bike and we made our way through the narrow -- and I mean NARROW -- streets of Musashino to her home. While walking down the streets I noticed all the many, many bikes! I knew that Japan was a biking society, but I was amazed at just how many there were ... all vying for space on the sidewalks or streets alongside pedestrians and motorists.

Speaking of motorists ... the cars were unlike anything I've ever seen in the States. The Hondas, Toyotas, Mazdas and Nissans were all familiar names, but the shapes and sizes of these cars was altogether different. First off, the drive on the left side of the road. But then they also have multiple mirrors on their cars. Not just the inside rearview and two outside mirrors, but often a fourth and maybe fifth mirror. I've noticed that the number usually relates to the size of the car ... SUVs and vans tend to have more mirrors. The cars are so compact! I don't know how else to describe them. They seem like Mini-Coopers in size but some even seem smaller. The only cars that seem to familiar in size and proportion are the Taxis.

After an easy 10 minute walk, we entered Linda's house ... a 2-story, 2-bedroom house that is apparently quite spacious by Japanese standards. I was shocked! It was so small compared to my 1,000 square foot condo. And Linda, who is quite the antique shopper, has filled it will all sorts of treasures. The walls of her house are covered with framed pictures ... family, friends and colorful drawings created by Amanda. The most unusual thing was that the only toilet was actually on the main level, while the bath and shower were upstairs. That took a bit of getting used to. This would become home for the next 2 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment