Monday, August 28, 2006

Japan or Bust!


So it's been six weeks since I first stepped off the plane at Tokyo's Narita Airport and entered a whole new world. This blog will hopefully re-create some of those feelings and adventures I've had since my arrival on this 2-month extended vacation. The question is where do I begin?
Well, the reason I decided to come to Japan was the result of a minor tragedy in my life. After working for 10 years at a job I loved in St. George, I was recruited to start a new entertainment magazine in Salt Lake City. Well, after 2 months and only 2 issues, I was told I wasn't "edgy" enough and was let go.
Before the devastation completely took hold, I was offered the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to come to Tokyo and house-sit for my cousin Linda.
Linda has lived in Japan for the past 27 years and I have always enjoyed the stories and trinkets she would send our way each Christmas. After my mother's trio of trips recently, she encouraged me to take Linda up on the offer, and soon I was booking a flight. This wouldn't be any quick 2-week vacation. I was committing to 2 months!!
So passport paperwork and packing quickly ensued! What to take? What to leave home? How hot is it really going to be? How much humidity?
I landed in Tokyo, after a LONG 12-hour flight, on Tuesday, July 11, completely clueless, but ready for adventure!
Stay tuned as I add more adventures and photos!

1 comment:

  1. Jenn...luv the pic! Make the most of your next couple of weeks, you'll be home before you know it.

    ReplyDelete