Thursday, November 15, 2007

Basement Dwellers

This is my new favorite term and I give all the credit to my clever friend Angie!
Here's the scenario when I discovered this newest bit of wit:

I drove an hour south for church last week. Angie attends a mid-singles ward and I thought it would be a great opportunity to possibly meet some new people ... and well, check out the "meat" market. First off, the ward was quite large. And through my quick, not-so-sly Sacrament Meeting glances, the prospects seemed encouraging. But, like is so often the problem in singles wards, the odds of men to women where horrible! Unfortunately I've come to expect this sad, sad ratio.

The meetings were great and the linger longer boasted an array of tasties, but the mingling was a little sparse for the two new girls. I guess that was the down-side of being one of the first people in the food line. As Angie mentioned, we shouldn't have let our growling stomachs impede our socializing options.

Recapping the day's events, Angie declared that the ward wasn't too bad, even though there were a few Basement Dwellers -- those unsavory men and women who might still be living in their parent's basement, haven't seen the sun in a few decades and lack refined social skills. What a great descriptor! Logging that term in my "to be used" file.

Now, a few days later, I've had an epiphany!!
I too could be considered a Basement Dweller! ARGH!
Yep, here I sit clicking away on my laptop in my basement abode: Converted sofa permantely made into a bed, makeshift closet hanging in the laundry room and ... oh yeah ... several job applications waiting to be filled out so I can once again return to the workforce! UH OH!

2 comments:

  1. ha ha. you are one good little writer. i'm so sorry i haven't called yet. my phone died and i left my charger in orem so i've been phoneless since monday! yikes! why don't you email me-i'm not sure when i'll have my phone again. i need a land line...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give it a few more years before you term yourself a basement dweller. That Angie's pretty witty ... I'm sure she meant those who've been there for years.

    ReplyDelete