Saturday, December 08, 2007

Music of the Season


I think it was even before Halloween that SLC station 106.5 started playing Christmas music 24/7 ... I do love listening to Christmas music, but the earliness was a bit extreme! Even so, I would still indulge in a song or two before Turkey Day, when I usually bust out my own music collection.

A couple nights ago I spent some time downloading some new festive tunes. I try each year to add at least one more holiday album to my collection. This year I did a little more than one. I bought the much-anticipated Josh Groban "Noel" but also hunted down his version of "O Holy Night" since it wasn't on the CD ... a major oversight since it's one of his best.

While perusing the holiday music section, I also found one of my old favorites! Back when I was at Ricks College my roommate Julie introduced me to two wonderful classic holiday music institutions. The Carpenters Christmas ... an all-time favorite; and Nat "King" Cole's Christmas Song album. I made audio tape versions of both these albums, but wore them both out. I have since replaced The Carpenters, but it wasn't until the other night that I was able to bring Nat back to the King Christmas Music Collection. I just love his version of "I Saw Three Ships"! And of course his quintessential "The Christmas Song."

A few more modern favorites I just added include: "Mistletoe" by Colbie Caillat, "Sleigh Ride" by SHeDAISY, "Carol of the Bells" by both The Bird and the Bee and Emmy Rossum (Christine from the movie "Phantom of the Opera"). I also love Jars of Clay's new Christmas album. Their "Drummer Boy" is fantastic!

The albums that get the most air time in my collection however, are the ones by Kurt Bestor! He is a genius when it comes to musically capturing that holiday spirit! Other favorite purchases from previous years include the "Elf" soundtrack, Michael Buble's "Let It Snow" and Sarah McLachlan's "Wintersong."

What are your favorite Christmas tunes? Who does the best version?

1 comment:

  1. Pretty much the best thing about Christmas is the music. I love all of it!!! PS I love reading your blog...I seriously feel like we're friends now (cheesy..I know)

    ReplyDelete