Monday, December 10, 2007

Space Needle and Pike's Market

A day in the Emerald City



So in my four previous visits to Seattle, I've actually never been atop the Space Needle. So this trip today with my best friend Alicia began at the majestic needle! The views were incredible and we picked a beautiful, if a bit windy, day!




Outside the needle, there was a lovely little shrubbery version ... too bad you can't see it in this photo!

But there it is...


After the needle, we were off to Pike's Market! Great quirky shops and ... the Fish Market! This fresh fish shop is world-renowned for flamboyantly flinging and flipping fish from one employee to the next. Want to buy a Talapia? Watch it fly through the air from the ice to the scale. Amazing! Sadly, catching photos of this performance is not quite so easy ... Oh well, here's what I did manage to get.

Ummmm .... CRAB LEGS!!

After the market, we went down to the pier and found a sexy fisherman we just had to photograph! "I once caught a fish THIS BIG!"

And then I had to introduce Alicia to a Seattle institution!! You can't visit the waterfront of Seattle without eating a savory lunch of Clam Chowder and Clam Strips at IVAR'S. So incredible! It was a bit too cold to feed the leftover french fries to the seagulls near the water (a tradition, too), but it was delish!


After a bit more shopping, my throbbing feet decided they had had enough, so we gathered up our souvenir spoils and heading down the road ... me north to Everett, Alicia south to Tacoma. Hopefully I will be able to hook up with Alicia and her husband Anthony for dinner before I leave on Saturday .... maybe this time in Everett!

2 comments:

  1. Such cute pictures!!! Of you and your niece and nephew. Wow, I haven't been to the top of the space needle in so many years. I ate up there once..pretty cool, the top spins so you get to see the whole city. I am jealous of Pike's Market. I've never been there before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad we got to spend time together! I miss you tons and I can't wait to do it, again:)

    ReplyDelete